EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES
Tuesday, January 8, 2013
In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels – via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.
I. Announcements & Development
A. Faculty/Staff meeting will be held on January 14 at 9:00 am in Marshall Auditorium in Alpine. RGC Faculty/Staff meeting will be in Uvalde on January 25 at 9:30 am.
B. Lobo Days Orientation will be held on January 14th.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. 12-18-2012 – EC approved.
III. Old/Unfinished Business
A. RGC Emergency Response Plan – Valenzuela expressed his concern that there are a few procedures that do not apply to Sul Ross as a higher education institution. Sorrels explained that there are parts that apply only to SWTJC and other that apply to both SWTJC and SRSU RGC. Thurman suggested that we could put a disclaimer that states, “where applicable to Sul Ross- RGC.” EC approved this pending additional need for information.
B. List serves Email System – This was tabled pending further discussion. EC would like to see a virtual bulletin board that allows people to post items for sale or meeting reminders. A recent snow day also prompted the EC to question the method for informing employees and students of emergency closures. Maestas asked Gudena to look into the system to make changes.
C. Mission Statement – EC approved the Mission Statement and will be sent to the Board of Regents for approval. The statement will be forwarded to the THECB pending approval by the BOR.
D. Expansion of Family Housing – this is a proposal by the Director of Residential Living to allow for non-family roommates to live in our family housing. In order to approve this proposal, EC would also like to have the residents restricted to upperclassmen. EC would also prefer to have a lease agreement established. Groves will work with Chaszar for more details.
E. SORM – Risk Management Report update, Holbrooks reported that we are continuing to work on the recommendations.
F. Competitive Scholarship Language – tabled pending more information.
G. VSP – The deadline was extended because there were a few faculty members that had not seen the email announcing the program over the break. The extension will allow for an additional 10 days and establish a deadline of January 17th at 5:00 pm.
A. President’s Report
1. President’s Annual Performance Evaluation will be scheduled for the February 2013 Board of Regents meeting.
2. Texas Comptroller has reported an $8B surplus for the state. Indicators suggest that the state of Texas is better off this year than last year.
B. Provost’s Report
1. Nothing to report.
C. CFO’s Report
1. Valenzuela will attend Texas Connections board meeting.
2. Aramark wants to increase rates, EC will need to discuss room and board rates for BOR approval. Valenzuela will work with Groves and discuss the rates.
3. Valenzuela reported that the bookstore has requested a drop in their commission paid to SRSU from 8% to 3% on sales up to $750,000 due to declining sales. If sales reach $750,000 in any given year, we will get full commission. In order to allow strategies to work, they have requested a two year extension to their contract. We will submit a motion to the Board of Regents.
4. Aramark has proposed to extend their contract for a 10 years beginning this May in return, they will commit an investment of $250,000 for facilities upgrade. They will also provide $20,000 per year for equipment maintenance.
D. Associate Provost/Dean’s Report
1. Kickapoo Education Center – staff and faculty met with Johnathon Hook to discuss the proposal to help them learn how to teach on their reservation. We will submit a modified proposal to them for their review.
E. CIO’s Report
1. All projects will be stopped until the beginning of the semester has been launched and completed.
2. The website is their major project and will ask all pages be updated by January 20. Expected live date is in February. They will run a software program that simulates 50,000 people connecting to our website at the same time to work out any kinks that may exist. We will issue a press release when we go live with the new website. This is one of the only projects that have used a campus wide participation.
3. Blackboard 9.1 will be hosted and in the cloud. This allows us to be beta testers and the service is free of charge.
4. Touchnet will be implemented by end of May.
5. BCM training will be scheduled in March.
F. VPEM’s Report
1. Groves reported that Noel-Levitz will not be able to be scheduled until later this semester. We may need to find another funding source if the Lobo Den grant ends prior to the scheduling.
2. Enrollment Numbers show a slight decrease in enrollment however, Groves explained that when the 13 programs were closed we lost admitted students and we lost potential students. Groves also initiated a new system for applicants that will yield more qualified admits with less holds. The additional days off from the holiday break and the snow day also affected the applicant processing. Groves also stated that in addressing retention issues, undeclared majors have a lower rate of registration. EC discussed the idea of having mandatory majors so that students are tied into departments. Our transfer students show an increase. Graduate students show a preliminary increase.
V. New Business
A. Positions and Position Title Changes
1. Posted Positions
a. GIS Lab Technician Adelante Tejas – This item was tabled pending completion of steps outlined by Gudena.
2. Dr. Julie Stephan – EC approved the proposal pending the funding source.
3. HITAP organization – tabled pending more information.
4. Communications instructor – counter offer has been drafted and sent to him. There are a few more qualified candidates that the department is considering if the counter offer is not accepted.
5. Recreation Sports Director position – Tabled pending more information.
B. Faculty Handbook 3.01 Library and Information Technologies – tabled pending information.
VI. Next meeting date and time?
A. January 15, 2013
VII. Adjourn 12:00 pm