EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Cesar Valenzuela, Chandragupta Gudena, Paul Sorrels – via ITV, Denise Groves – via telephone, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.
I. Announcements and Development
A. Dr. Maestas was asked to provide testimony for the Nevarez/Seliger Bill on Wednesday March 27, 2013 at the House Higher Education Committee hearing and the Senate Higher Education hearing.
B. Windows maintenance will be done this Thursday for OIT in lieu of Good Friday and Easter.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. 3-21-2013 Tabled pending review
III. Old/Unfinished Business
A. Virtual Bulletin Board and Email Distribution – Previously mentioned Virtual Boards are not feasible for our environment. Gudena re-sent the document with two options for listserves. One option costs money ($3000/year) and has all the features expected and the other is a home grown system that does not have flexibility or features available in paid version. EC decided to stay with the current version of the listserves and asked that all assistants of EC members be added to the moderators list, so that each division VP can release important and time sensitive messages as needed. Gudena also noted that a moderator has the ability to identify and enable a specific user from faculty or staff to send emails without going thru moderation. However, this setting will need to be reset by the moderator every time the lists are synchronized.
B. Competitive Scholarship Language – EC tabled pending information.
C. Faculty Handbook 3.01 – EC tabled pending review.
D. Review Budget impact of Fall and Spring Enrollment Drops – Valenzuela requested feedback for questions from handout from last meeting. Valenzuela proposed that the summer M&O and Travel be cut by 10% based on the enrollment drops this year. Tanya Romero will put the budget on the website with the current budget and 10% cuts for the summer. EC approved the cuts. Enrollment projections indicate an increase for the Fall 2013. EC will discuss the budget more extensively in April. EC Tabled the budget discussion.
E. Graduation Fees – Dr. Sorrels suggested that we have the same fees for RGC and Alpine. EC Approved equalizing the graduation fees for Alpine and RGC to $30. Graduation deadline will also be changed to reflect a timelier period for students to apply for graduation. EC approved the deadline change. Maestas approved the automation of the graduation audit. Fees will be changed to offer a discount for applying early.
F. Employment Positions
1. NRM Wildlife Assistant Professor - Tabled pending review and evidence of funding availability.
2. Lecturer in Geology – EC tabled pending further review of enrollment.
3. Gregory Tegarden
– PT Lecturer in Art- Ceramics – Tabled pending info
from Dr. Thurman.
4. Lecturer in Education at RGC – Tabled pending Sorrels input.
5. GIS Lab Technician Adelante Tejas – Tabled.
A. President’s Report
B. Provost’s Report
1. Promotion and Tenure review has been completed. Letters from President Maestas will be sent out in the upcoming weeks.
C. CFO’s Report
D. Associate Provost’s Report
E. CIO’s Report
F. VPEM’s Report
V. New Business
A. Position and Position Title Changes
1. Tanya Romero – title change from Budget Specialist to Budget Specialist/Banner Finance Coordinator – approved via email 3-6-2013.
2. Counseling Secretary Rachel Caravajal accepted the position with CSI; Diana Smith will be moved temporarily to the Counseling office to replace the secretary until August.
VI. Next meeting date and time
A. April 2, 2013
B. Adjourn at 9:00 am