EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, Denise Groves, Chandragupta Gudena, Paul Sorrels – via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez - recording

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Sully Showcase on April 6, 2013.

B.     Plans for the China Trip are being finalized.

C.     Claudia Wright will defend her dissertation next week.

D.    We will not have EC next week due to travel conflicts amongst the EC.

E.     Ellucian will be here April 16 to present the findings of the Banner student and Finance health check and Banner strategic roadmaps

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    3-21-2013 EC Approved

B.     3-26-2013 EC Approved

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Virtual Bulletin Board and Email Distribution – EC agreed to provide access to all divisions and assistants. Yvonne Realivasquez will talk with Steve Lang about appropriateness of emails.  This will be updated on the APM.

B.     Competitive Scholarship Language –  We will put together a small committee to review the applicants.  Dr. Thurman also raised a separate issue regarding Service learning scholarships which would allow for SRSU to give scholarships to students who work on campus in a similar manner to internships.  This would allow for students to get the in-state rate on campus in order to attract new students to offer opportunities for career growth and development.  Valenzuela was concerned that we need to be very clear about the expectations for the recipients.  Valenzuela suggested that Groves be very involved to provide additional information.  Valenzuela suggested that we draft some guidelines. Sorrels also wanted us to consider running this on two tracks that would allow for department to offer a service learning course then we could set up a scholarship that would work in conjunction with the courses and departments. Thurman will ask academic units if we already have some internships in place, if not is there a possibility to create a course for the fall semester.  Tabled pending additional information.

C.     Faculty Handbook 3.01 – EC tabled pending review.

D.    Employee/Dependent tuition waivers and fees – Thurman explained that we have approved for staff and faculty to take 6 hours of credit.  Thurman would like to offer the family unit the opportunity to take two classes but to charge them a discounted rate similar to our fee for the dual credit high school rates.   This would be a chance for the EC to show the staff and faculty that we appreciate what they do and to offer families a discounted rate.  Valenzuela was concerned that although this is a benefit to the campus we would not make any revenue.  Valenzuela suggested that we could offer half price for the families.  Sorrels explained that it may not have as much of an impact at RGC but it would definitely be a benefit.  EC discussed the idea that classes would need to have full price enrollment before counting the discounted students.  This would address the concerns that Valenzuela had regarding the implicated costs.  This is another strategy of doing more for the summer to allow for increased enrollment and a benefit to our employees. Sorrels suggested that the definition of family unit needs to be clear.  This would be in addition to the 6 hours that we have allowed for employees to take classes. EC tabled pending a proposal. 

E.     Web Site Privacy and Security Policy – Gudena explained that every website must have a privacy policy. This is an updated policy for our new website, we must post the policy based on the advice of the auditors’ office.  EC approved the policy and it will be posted in the APM.

F.      Employment Positions

1. NRM Wildlife Assistant Professor - Thurman explained that there is enough funding in the budget for the position.  Thurman reported that he told Kinucan it could not cost the university any money for the first three years.  It needs to be clear that the money is soft money and the future employment is dependent on the availability of funding.  If this program is successful then we would need to provide the funding.  If everything is spent right now then the likelihood is that the corpus would be used. EC approved the request to advertise, and again stressed that this position is based on soft money funding.

2. Lecturer in Geology – EC tabled pending further review of enrollment.

3. Gregory Tegarden – PT Lecturer in Art- Ceramics – Art Department has proposed that they can hire him part time for his lecturing but to pay him additionally for him to be in charge of the kiln.  EC discussed the question of his enrollment, if the enrollment does not meet the minimum, Tegarden would not need to run the kiln. EC approved to allow for him to be paid one course rate for running the kiln.

4. Lecturer in Education at RGC – Sorrels withdrew the request for the Lecturer position.  Based on the legislature and funding concerns Sorrels felt it was prudent to re-evaluate the needs of the department.

5. GIS Lab Technician Adelante Tejas – Tabled.

 

IV.             Reports

A.    President’s Report

B.     Provost’s Report

1.SACS fifth year report will be due in one year, Thurman has worked with John Jones to determine what will need to be done.  In order to be prepared, Thurman requested that the EC meet in two weeks to discuss what will need to be done. 

C.     CFO’s Report

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1. Sorrels attended the president’s cabinet at SWTJC, he has been invited to attend once a month for RGC updates.

2.The BAS degree has been filed, it is on the website for the THECB.  BS of Nursing will be sent soon.  Jones will file both with SACS as appropriate.

3. Instructor guidelines and directors for course development for the Organizational Leadership emphasis have been sent to those developing the new courses.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.Moving forward on Blackboard project and upgrade to Blackboard 9 in the cloud, Training for faculty will commence soon. Courses will stay on for 18 months, and a local copy will stay on campus.

2.Fully integrated the system with Banner and Blackboard.  This will be available starting summer and faculty have the option of using it this summer. We will be decommissioning the current blackboard system by Spring 2014 When fully online with the new Blackboard, we can start using the built in course evaluation system within Blackboard 9. Office 365 (Sharepoint and Lync) will allow us to have more functions electronically.  This will allow us to save files and access them from any mobile device.  OIT will pilot Lync; that is an instant messaging platform for instant message ability.  The next phase would allow for video conferencing and will eventually integrate with the Phone system. .  Most desktops and mobile devices already have a camera that would allow this to take place.  With Sharepoint, we would have a master folder then it would branch out to each department.  This project will take over a year to fully implement Office 365 will provide for department folders, department calendars as well as individual folders. SharePoint will provide network storage as well as be a collaboration platform.

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.There are 255 participants and guests for the Sully Showcase this Saturday.  May 1st is national decision day for college students, Director Marks will send out an email to remind everyone about this very important date.

2.Groves reported that Tim Culver from Noel Levitz was on campus last week and met with several groups on campus. He suggested that we continue to work on our transparency but that campus community members believe it has improved.  The final report will be sent to Dr. Maestas for review.

3.Registration started yesterday for priority registration.  Culver suggested that we re-yield and send out communications for keeping the link active.

4.BCM could be used across the campus to allow for “campus touch” from various levels.

 

V.                New Business

A.    Position and Position Title Changes

1.Request to advertise for collections supervisor formerly Jim Senneff – approved via email 3-29-2013.

2.Request from Leo Dominguez to pay a stipend for a rec sports aerobics instructor with a payment made from the user fees of the attendees of the class.  Thurman suggested that we first make sure that the members of the class are paying customers. EC approved a payment of $50 per week to the instructor.

B.     Banner Access Application and Procedures - Gudena reported that data owners came together to re-do the application and procedures.  The first and most important question to him is: Who is responsible for Banner overall? Gudena is drafting up a document for governance of banner. Conceptually, there would be two levels, the data owners group (at an execution level) and EC that makes informed policy decisions and sets the strategic direction and priorities for utilization of Banner. What is the purpose of Banner, EC would decide on the priorities for the needs of the universities. EC approved the authorization forms.

C.     Merchandise – EC approved a 10% commission from local sales of SR Merchandise.

 

VI.             Next meeting date and time

A.    April 16, 2013

B.     Adjourn at 11:58 am