EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels, Chandragupta Gudena - Phone

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Lobo Appreciation Awards – Employee Reception will be held on Wednesday, April 17 at 2:00 pm in the Espino Conference Rooms

B.     Administrative Professionals luncheon to be held on Friday, April 19 in the president’s backyard or UC depending on weather.  Official date for recognition is April 24.

C.     Honors Convocation will be held on April 22 in Marshall Auditorium.  Dr. Paul Sorrels will emcee the event on behalf of the Provost’s office.

D.    Faculty & Staff Meeting will be held on May 1 in Marshall Auditorium to discuss campus updates.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    4-2-2013 EC approved

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Service Learning Scholarships – Thurman explained that this would appeal to out of state students especially with the guidelines that allow for flexibility and competitiveness. Departments would have the ability to  provide credit through jobs in their departments. This would be available to both Alpine and RGC campuses.  Discussion followed regarding proposed criteria. Groves explained that when providing scholarships to international students that we need to be extra cautious when keeping track for these types of scholarships. Thurman wants to be sure that we have enough scholarships to provide for incoming international, out of state, and in state students.  EC discussed having two levels of scholarships for service learning and the other for competitive requirements. 

IV.             Ellucian Health Check –

A.    We discovered that there are areas in banner that we are not utilizing to the fullest extent.  We did the student health check and then finance. Melissa Speers and Chuck Spotts, presented their findings and delivered the report with recommendations. Melissa explained that staff expressed a willingness to learn and change the processes for new functionality.  Melissa provided a one-page report summary that explains how to improve the use of Banner.  Melissa explained that a technology governance plan is a tactical approach and helps to define what the projects are on campus.  For example the definition and prioritization of a university project or a true technology project and the determination of whether it is institutional or departmental. At this time, there is not a priority order to follow.  If we have a process and structure that allows for reprioritization then it allows for flexibility.  Maestas explained that he visits with Gudena to discuss the project priorities. Ellucian group also stated that it is clear to them that EC governs Banner and gives directives down from there. There are two groups, functional and policy making. A clear process would outline that each group would have a clearly defined function.  In addition, one other group could be added – OIT.  Ellucian recommends that we need to formalize the governance structure.  Ellucian will bring in a value added consultant to meet with groups to recommend a structure and advise on a strategic plan for technology governance.  This would allow for a formal process. Hopefully this could be done by the summer. We have a broader need for the governance because technology is so widely used.  There must be strategic planning involved.  There should a clear definition of the reasons for the processes.  There will be more extensive ARGOS training for reporting purposes. We will need to re-implement BCM as recruiter in a couple of years. The product that is implemented is BRM (Banner Relationship Management) version of BCM, which has been discontinued by Ellucian and is no longer undergoing development/ updates. The “Recruiter” product has limitations. Ellucian reps asked that we purchase additional storage. Students and Staff have expressed interest in SR using a portal so that they can easily find information.  Bringing in a portal allows us to have most of the information that would allow for students, staff, faculty to easily find the information. Melissa said there are hurdles to overcome in Luminus.  Gudena also said that communication is a push pull process. If we send information to student, it can be on the homepage, but having a portal would allow us to give them information regardless of whether they are looking for it or not. Ellucian reps stressed the need to only communicate using the sulross.edu email address and not personal email addresses. We are still looking at Degreeworks to determine how to best serve our students to provide them with information about their degree plan. The last recommendation was for the purchase of the travel and expense module that would provide a quicker and more effective method. The cost is around $75,000 to implement the travel module.  Dr. Maestas reported that we have been working on the strategic plan and retention plan.  Gudena was concerned that our staff do not know how to best use some of the functions of banner, which might result in data integrity and utilization issues. Gudena noted that Banner needs to be the source of all institutional information; Banner is considered “data” truth. Melissa also noticed that there are shadow files in many places. With more training in Banner, shadow files will cease to be needed by our staff.  Gudena, Groves, and Valenzuela will meet to discuss the needs and priorities. No action was needed by EC.

 

B.     Employee/Dependent tuition waivers and fees – EC agreed that we could charge $75 per SCH in order to offer this incentive to our employees and their dependents. A formal announcement will be made before the end of the semester.

C.     Employment Positions

1.  GIS Lab Technician Adelante Tejas – EC discussed this and when the position is reconfigured it will be brought back to EC when ready.

 

V.                Reports

A.    President’s Report

1. Nothing to report

B.     Provost’s Report

1. Thurman and Sorrels discussed upgraded positions.  EC tabled pending analysis. 

C.     CFO’s Report

1. Nothing to report.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1. Nothing to report

E.     CIO’s Report

1. Nothing to report

F.      VPEM’s Report

1. Nothing to report. 

 

VI.             New Business

A.    Position and Position Title Changes

1. Head Track and Field Coach/Assistant Football Coach/Lecturer – EC approved to advertise via email 4-9-2013.

B.     OIT Incident Report request for approval of form per Gudena. We are required to file an incident report each time we have a virus, worm, etc. for any security incident situation. EC agreed to the form but would like to include the cognizant VP as other signature lines.

C.     Learning Counts Agreement partnership request per Dr. Sorrels. Every membership needs to be approved by the President’s office for approval.  This would allow for implementation of the BAS.  Will copy Noe on this email.

D.    Print Shop University Use – We need to be clear that our policy should be followed.  Valenzuela suggested that the print shop do a marketing campaign for their services. Groves will get more information from the marketing committee. Tabled pending information.

E.     Fall 2013 Installment Payment Dates – approved via email 4-5-2013 Valenzuela explained that the fee is $20 and the installment plan has been changed to 30% first payment, 35% each for the second and third payments.

 

VII.          Next meeting date and time

A.    4-30-2013

B.     Adjourn at 12:18 pm