EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES
Uvalde, Texas Rio Grande College
Friday, June 14, 2013
In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Quint Thurman, Cesario Valenzuela, Chandragupta Gudena, Paul Sorrels, Yvonne Realivasquez - Recording
I. Announcements and Development
A. First Summer Registration had over 200 participants.
B. VP Assistants will meet with Yvonne Realivasquez as a new advisory group.
C. Sorrels announced that the Unmanned Aircraft project group will meet with Alpine officials. This project is researching the feasibility of unmanned aircrafts in Texas for a national research project.
D. Gudena announced that starting June 15th we will increase our internet bandwidth and it will be funded by the Title V grant. This will affect the entire university and will cost about $15,000; this will triple our speed with the internet.
E. Gudena showcased the new LYNC system for videoconferencing, instant messaging, calling, etc. This is being tested by OIT and is projected for deployment campus wide by Fall 2013.
F. Gudena also showed Sharepoint and how it could be used for ease of access and sharing folders from various users. Saving documents in the cloud will allow for using files from any mobile device. Skydrive is your personal space in the cloud and is not shared with anyone. This will help to eliminate using jump drives.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. 6-4-2013 EC approved.
III. Old/Unfinished Business
A. Print Shop University Use – Tabled pending proposal from Marketing Committee.
B. Signature Authority Policy – proposed policy will be reviewed and revised by EC.
A. President’s Report
1. Policy Review by Legal – Several have been submitted for consideration including: Digital Millennium Copyright Act Policy, Network Management Policy, Firewall Policy.
B. Provost’s Report
1. There have been some personnel changes in several academic areas, Thurman will monitor the needs of the departments as is necessary.
C. CFO’s Report
1. EC Budget meeting on Thursday, June 20, 2013 at 10:00 am.
D. Associate Provost’s Report
1. Nothing to report
E. CIO’s Report
1.Nothing to report
F. VPEM’s Report
1. Based on discussion from Groves, Maestas asked EC if we need to purchase a Banner App for phones for students. After deliberation, EC decided not to move forward with the purchase.
V. New Business
A. Personnel Items
1. Summer Appointment Letters – Thurman questioned whether we should offer summer appointment letters. We might want to be clear on the appointment letters that clearly define what they will be doing for the summer. Judy Perry is looking into this for our sister institutions. This will affect 12 month employees in particular. Tabled pending more information - No Action was taken.
2. Request approval to advertise for Director of Technical Services formerly Ross Burns. EC approved.
B. Staff Council Survey Results – Maestas asked the EC to review the survey. Based on these results EC discussed the concerns of the council. No Action was taken.
C. Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid – EC approved via email 6-6-2013.
D. Developmental Education Policy – request approval for the following guidelines. EC approved these policies and will forward to legal for review.
1. Students must be enrolled in each TSI placement class every semester until the student is clear in all disciplines.
2.Students may enroll in TSI courses for up to 18 SCH, if the student does not clear the coursework after the 18 SCH they are not permitted to re-enroll at SRSU.
3.Students who fail developmental education coursework in one semester will not be eligible to play intercollegiate sports at SRSU in the following semester until the student is TSI clear.
VI. Next meeting date and time
A. June 25, 2013
B. Adjourn at 11:16 AM