EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES
Tuesday, August 6, 2013
In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Quint Thurman, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez recording.
I. Announcements and Development
A. Board meeting next week
B. UTEP football camp will start next week
C. Tim Culver will be here this week for an additional consultation and to provide information about his visit with RGC.
D. Classes start August 28th in Alpine.
E. Enrollment Management will have a retreat this summer that will focus on how to improve services and train the staff.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. 7-23-2013 EC approved.
III. Old/Unfinished Business
1.Lobos Football Game – Request for September 12th to be considered part of the Lobo Pride Day. Sorrels questioned whether university vehicles could be used by employees to attend the game. EC tabled this request. The Provost’s office will send a request to faculty to consider this an excused absence. EC tabled pending more information.
2.Tuition for SWTJC reciprocal – EC approved to also offer the tuition discount to SWTJC. Additional information is needed for further action; this item was tabled.
A. President’s Report
1. Nothing to report
B. Provost’s Report
1. Thurman attended his first ACE conference for Chief Academic Officers last week.
2. Thurman reported that students in China will most likely not be ready through INS until next year.
C. CFO’s Report
1. Not in attendance
D. Associate Provost’s Report
1. Lease with MRGDC for four offices is coming up for renewal. This is the same lease as in the past.
2. Sorrels is working on the library agreement at SWTJC.
3. Sorrels is working with Valenzuela for the facilities lease.
4. Financial Aid consortium – Sorrels is working to make it a little more flexible. Groves mentioned that former TASP rules in junior year had a different meaning in the past. Students couldn’t take junior or senior level until you passed TASP. We have similar rules in place but are no longer considered TASP.
E. Interim CIO’s Report
1. Not in attendance
F. VPEM’s Report
1. CIO search is going well. They have five good candidates that they are targeting out of 27.
2.Next registration day is Friday, August 9th. Some athletes will be here on August 15th. August 23rd will also be another registration day. Later registration will occur on August 27th.
V. New Business
A. Personnel Items
1.PT Business Services Assistant in Eagle Pass – request permission to advertise and rehire. EC approved.
2.RGC Financial Aid counselor – request permission to advertise and rehire. EC approved.
3.Request to make permanent the temporary administrative assistant position in the President’s office using funds from the Advancement office and request to advertise for the permanent position. EC approved.
4.Request to hire two temporary workers for custodial staff to cover two custodians who are on leave without pay and request to advertise for a full time custodian. EC approved both requests.
B. Advising Model – Groves asked for clarification about the advising model. Thurman explained that freshmen, developmental education, transfers without major will go to Lobo Den for advising. Once they declare a major or if they do not need developmental classes they will be transitioned over to the major department for advising. Lobo Den has primary authority for advising within these groups, departments cannot make changes without first coordinating with Lobo Den
C. Mentoring committee - Dr. Maestas asked that we get our mentors in place by the first week of classes. Groves will coordinate this group to get it going. RGC has student mentors, Sorrels will look into the current program.
VI. Next meeting date and time
A. August 20, 2013
B. Adjourn at 10:30 am