EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES
Tuesday, September 17, 2013
In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Quint Thurman, Paul Sorrels, Denise Groves, Cesar Valenzuela, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.
I. Announcements and Development
A. Remington Exhibit from the Museum of the Big Bend will open this week.
B. Lobos at AT&T stadium events were well received.
C. Homecoming is coming up on October 12, 2013, this year’s theme is “Lobos in the Jungle.”
D. First batch of prospect mailers are going out this week through Enrollment Management.
II. Approval of Minutes
A. 8-28-2013 EC approved
B. 9-3-2013 EC approved
III. Old/Unfinished Business
A. Policy Development APM 2.00 – need to revise language based on the recommendation of the auditor. EC approved.
B. Compensation in Excess of Base Salary – Marilyn McGhee drafted a proposed policy for review by the EC. After discussion EC agreed to review the policy add comments and make revisions, then meet to discuss the changes prior to sending the policy to legal for review.
A. President’s Report
1. Nothing to report.
B. Provost’s Report
1. Thurman reported that Martin Urbina will be the graduate coordinator for Criminal Justice, replacing Lorie Rubenser. This will establish a more cooperative relationship between RGC and Alpine. This collaboration will lead to additional program development between Alpine and RGC.
C. CFO’s Report
1. Valenzuela reported that the guaranteed tuition plan will be presented by the system staff to the Board of Regents in November. Valenzuela will work with Lisa George to establish our policy, the parameters have not changed and only new or transfer students will be eligible beginning in Fall 2014. We will begin to advertise the affordability piece of the guaranteed tuition.
2.A meeting for HEAF allocations will be next week on September 27th at 9:00 am.
D. Associate Provost’s Report
1. Sorrels announced that enrollment is up at RGC. Students are very interested in the new graduate programs and the new BAAS program.
E. Interim CIO’s Report
1. Kathy Stein has requested that IE 9 be put on the computers for TSIA testing for new students.
F. VPEM’s Report
1. Nothing to report
V. New Business
A. Personnel Items
1. Request to advertise for a Visiting Lecturer Bilingual Education RGC. EC approved.
2. Director of Nursing – Donna Kuenstler resigned as Director and EC approved advertising the position.
B. RGC Visit – October 31st and November 1st the EC will be in Uvalde and Del Rio. Sorrels will set up meetings.
C. HEAF Requests from RGC per Dr. Sorrels EC reviewed the list and approved several items for purchase. These items include: lab chairs, interrupted power supply, back up domain controllers. Six items were approved.
D. First Class Day – Calendars for Alpine and RGC should be coordinated. After consulting with the Dean’s council, the provost recommended that academic calendars should start on the first work day of the week. EC approved moving the start of the Academic year for Fall 2014 to August 25th, in addition EC also approved that that the two additional days gained from this move will be used for a full week off during Thanksgiving week. Spring 2015 classes will begin on January 20, 2015.
VI. Next meeting date and time
A. October 1, 2013
B. Adjourn at 11:35 AM