EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, October 8, 2013

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Cesar Valenzuela, Quint Thurman, David Gibson, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.     JV Football Team won their game on October 7, 2013.

B.     Homecoming Game will be on Saturday, October 12, 2013. We have several events planned for the celebration.

C.     Tim Culver from Noel Levitz is on campus for consultation over the next few days.

D.    Carole Fox and Charles Gregory from the system auditor office are here this week to meet with campus staff.

E.     The statue committee will meet on Friday to discuss the donation of funds for the creation of the Lawrence Sullivan Ross bronze statue.

F.      Maestas welcomed David Gibson to the first EC meeting since his arrival.

G.    Groves announced that an enrollment management retreat will be held on October 24th to discuss all the new efforts for the next year.  Following this retreat, the Finance office will be pulled in to complete the funnel.

H.    Thurman announced that we have now received a request from China for additional information to enroll at Sul Ross.  The Chinese contact, Matthew Parkman has been in touch with Dr. Thurman to discuss another university that is interested in pursuing enrollment at Sul Ross.

I.       Groves reported that her trip to the Dominican Republic was successful.  The president of the University was impressed with how we use Banner and its capability for our records. Groves was asked to attend this meeting as the keynote speaker and consultant about the uses for Ellucian software.

J.       Sorrels announced that the arrangements for the SWTJC signing have been confirmed.

K.    The nursing prospectus for the new degree was submitted to John Jones.

L.     RGC is working to get the CORE requirements in line with SWTJC.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    9-17-2013 EC approved

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Policy Development APM 2.00 –Yvonne will meet with Charles Gregory to work out additional details for this policy.

B.     Policy for Compensation in Excess of Base Salary – Valenzuela has provided feedback to Thurman for the policy.  Changes will be sent legal.

C.     Signature Authority Policy – EC disagreed about the cumbersome nature of the signature authority based on legal review.  Yvonne will discuss with legal how to streamline the process and have legal review once more.

D.    OIT Firewall Policy APM 7.16 – Gibson reviewed the policy and recommends that some of the secure information be removed to provide general information to the public.  EC approved the changes.  Approval date is October 8, 2013. 

 

IV.             Reports

A.    President’s Report

1. Maestas asked Dr. Barney Nelson to assist with putting together a quarterly newsletter from the President’s office.

2.Maestas asked Poncho Nevarez to be the Alpine December Commencement speaker.

3.Christmas Cards - Just an FYI to the cabinet that we will have a student contest to design the Christmas cards this year.  We will offer three categories, drawing, graphic design, and photograph and prizes for each artist.

B.       Provost’s Report

1. Thurman will work on the mentoring project and suggested that we have a reception at the President’s house for mentors and students. Maestas asked Groves to work with Amy Moreland to cross check the list for qualifications. 

2. Groves reported that John Jones dropped off the clearing house results that show where students go when they drop out of Sul Ross. The results show that students do not go to another college which means that we will need to change our message to students. 

C.     CFO’s Report

1. Valenzuela reported that finance is closing out the year and working on the annual financial report.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1. Sorrels asked Rep. Tracy King to be the RGC December Commencement speaker.

2.Sorrels questioned if BCM training has been scheduled for RGC.  Groves will find out more information.

E.     CIO’s Report

1. Gibson requested feedback about Banner Advancement versus Raiser’s Edge.

2.Gibson reported that he sent an estimate for wifi in the dorms. It is a staggering amount of funding ($500,000) required to put wifi in the dorms. EC discussed options to work with the existing building structure to explore wireless capability. 

F.      VPEM’s Report

1. EM sent out 10,000 prospects information this October. Target is to have over 20,000 mailers to prospects.

 

V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1. Request to advertise for assistant professor in counselor education (tenure track) formerly Julie Stephan.  EC approved.

2.Request to authorize Fine Arts to hire a studio director full time assistant professor tenure track for next fall.  EC approved a lecturer position at $30,000 for the academic year.

3. Request to advertise for UDPS staffer formerly Virginia Arredondo. EC approved September 29th.

4.EC approved posting the electrical position left vacant by BJ Upshaw’s promotion in the physical plant.

B.     OIT – Securing the Human - Gibson asked for feedback about the video regarding the value of security.  EC discussed the lengthy nature of the videos and how often they must be watched.  After discussion, Gibson agreed that these videos will be scaled back and required every two years.  EC approved.

C.     Identity Finder – Gibson requested approval to identify/delete sensitive information from computers, notification will be sent to the user before the deletion. Gibson will send an email to the campus community to inform them. EC approved.

D.    Security Tests from OIT – Gibson reported that security is imperative to our functionality and requested approval to have our security expert attempt to hack our system to better prepare for eventualities.  This request will be taken to legal for approval. Tabled pending legal review.

E.     SWTJC transfer agreement – Sorrels will work with SWTJC.  Maestas asked about vocational tech courses and how they would transfer.  Sorrels said that the new BAS degree will utilize the voc-tech classes but only that degree plan. Sorrels will discuss the issues about guaranteed tuition with Valenzuela. EC tabled pending further discussion.

 

VI.             Next meeting date and time

A.    October 15, 2013

B.     Adjourn at 11:25 AM