EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance: Ricardo Maestas, Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, Paul Sorrels, David Gibson, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Sully Showcase will be held on November 16 and the last football game will be played on the same day.

B.     ARAMARK representatives will be here on November 22 to present their performance report and to meet with administrators.

C.     Judy Perry has sent an email regarding the records retention schedule, reminding departments to review their records procedures and to update them and send to her.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    10-29-2013 – EC approved the minutes.

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Policy Development APM 2.00 – Tabled pending revision.

B.     Signature Authority Policy – tabled pending review by legal.

C.     Motorcycle Rider Course Location – Jim Clouse met with Mike Latta to explain that the administration parking lot is not a suitable location. Clouse will send a letter to explain Latta that the parking lot is not an option for the course or storage, it will also note that the parking lot at Jackson Field is about the same size as the one that has been requested, it is feasible to put them back over there.

D.    Print Shop Proposal – EC reviewed the proposal including the reorganization and the style guidelines. After consideration, the EC did not approve both concepts. 

 

IV.             Reports

A.    President’s Report

1.      Board of Regents President’s report:

a.       Maestas reported that the Guaranteed Price Plan was discussed by all the presidents.  This would freeze tuition for four years.

b.      They discussed outsourcing employees like the program in place at A&M.  Some of the schools are looking into this for cost savings in a variety of departments. Sul Ross is not interested at this time.

c.       The Chancellor asked about HUBs, he would like all TSUS institutions to focus on increasing business with companies that are diverse.

d.      The Chancellor stated that they are planning to do an economic development study with CPUPC.  SRSU will pay a portion of the costs associated with these costs, as will all TSUS institutions.

e.       Ken Craycraft was at the BOR meeting and discussed offering dual credit.  Maestas will follow up with him.

B.      Provost’s Report

1.      The re-organization and name change of the Business Administration and ASBT program was approved by the Board of Regents.

2.      Thurman reported that another university in China has expressed an interest in a partnership with Sul Ross for graduate programs in Education.

3.      After consultation with Dr. Moore at TSUS, the low producing programs that were scheduled to be discontinued have now been determined that they will remain open.

C.     CFO’s Report

1.      Valenzuela reported that Midwestern and Stephen F. Austin have contracted out for their investments with Texas A&M.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1.      Sorrels met with Brent Rudrick, he is in marketing and works as a consultant.  Sorrels introduced him to Laura Nelson, PR Director at RGC.

2.      Sorrels has been invited to meet with the executive council for the SWTJC to discuss the library agreement.

3.      He met with Dr. Guerrero, Krista Powell, and Dr. Goosen about the BSN program and how to proceed with Alpine’s involvement.  Mary Fenton from Fort Davis has been consulting with RGC about this program.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.      Gibson reported that they have made an offer for the Tech II position to Kandace Floyd.

2.      Valenzuela asked if Gibson has received new information from AT&T regarding the land lines.  No new information was provided at this time.

3.      Property Inventory is in progress, OIT is working with the P & I department to identify lost or misplaced equipment.  Gibson explained that he is holding some large purchases in order to evaluate what we have and what we need.

4.      Gibson reported that he is looking into an internal forum system (similar to the format used by classified ads) for selling items from students, faculty, and staff that does not necessarily involve university business.

5.      Gibson asked Thurman about Blackboard training and faculty involvement. Thurman asked for a list of who has been trained and who needs to be trained.  Thurman requested this information so that we could offer some flexibility to our faculty. Maestas offered to contact a consultant he has worked with in the past for some assistance.

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.      Not in attendance

 

V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1.      Request to advertise for Assistant Professor for Kinesiology tenure track. EC approved.

2.      Request to advertise for NRM Secretary formerly Katie Berry. EC approved.

3.      Request to advertise for Astronomy/Physics Assistant Professor tenure track. EC approved to be effective Fall 2014. Sorrels suggested that collaboration could be worked out with RGC since they have some astronomy equipment.

B.     SGA Proposal for visitor hours in residence halls – EC approved the concept to change the visitor hours, it was agreed that any policy changes would be run through EC for final approval with recommendations by the director of residential living and the division VP.

 

VI.             Next meeting date and time

A.    November 26, 2013

B.     Adjourn at 11:45 AM