EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance:  Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, Jim Case, David Gibson, Paul Sorrels – via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Thurman invited Pete Gallego to be the May Commencement Speaker. We will wait for confirmation from his staff for his availability.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    1-14-2013 EC Approved

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Signature Authority Policy – tabled pending information from Finance Department.

B.     Transportation Alternatives for Athletics – Valenzuela reported that Clouse has consulted with Mesker to determine which bus would be best for our needs.  The Blue Bird is not a viable option. We also got a lease to buy offer for a coach type bus that could be a suitable option. Thurman suggested that we purchase a large 40-45 passenger bus and then purchase a 25-30 passenger bus for smaller team sports. Thurman said that we need to finalize this plan for Fall Sports for the large bus and the smaller one will be purchased as soon as possible. Valenzuela will continue to review options.

C.     Natural Gas consumption costs will continue to be reviewed. Thurman will meet with City manager about options. Clouse has been researching the costs of area gas consumption and pipelines. EC tabled this pending additional information.

D.    Customer Service Inspection with City of Alpine – We have a highly credentialed contract plumber who served as the contractor on the Jackson Field facility project who has the qualifications required to issue the certificate required by TCEQ for the City of Alpine.  Although, SRSU is a state entity and not required to have local government perform inspections, SRSU is willing to collaborate with the city of Alpine to assist them in their reporting to TCEQ.

E.     Visionality Quote – Gibson provided a quote for the RGC equipment. After some discussion about the high prices, Sorrels and Gibson explained that the need for the RGC classrooms to be accessible is urgent. Gibson will work with the company to determine the best course of action so that they can get this done as soon as possible. Gibson and several staffers will be at RGC next week and will evaluate the equipment and talk with SWTJC representatives. Thurman asked Gibson to negotiate the price further and has authority to move forward but if there is a major change he will bring it back to Thurman and Valenzuela.

 

IV.             Reports

A.    Interim President’s Report

1.         Met with the RGC faculty on Friday, last week, the meeting was well attended in Uvalde and teleconferenced to the other campuses. Thurman plans to go to the meetings schedule permitting.

B.     Interim Provost’s Report

1.         THECB contacted SRSU about core curriculum proposal.  They indicated that it was inadequate. Case has put together a comprehensive document that was submitted yesterday for the Core Curriculum to be considered by the THECB. This document commits us to certain courses of action that has costs associated with it. We need to institutionalize the core curriculum committee.  We have embedded assessments to measure the six objectives. We will use the ETS proficiency profile that assesses 4 out of the 6 objectives. We will incur about $8000 or less to conduct the assessments.

2.         Case will meet with the curriculum council for action regarding review of the graduate program.

3.         Low Productivity BFA in Art and in Theatre is still pending.  Case is working with Perry Moore for more help.

4.         Coordinating board webinar coming up that deals with the assessment of the Core. Case will send out e-invites.

5.         FA has recommendations for hiring a couple of hires and will proceed as needed.

6.         Academic Committee and Dean’s Council meetings will be held next Monday.

C.     CFO’s Report

1.         Valenzuela reported that Larry Guerrero has requested approval to establish an MOU with Ysleta school district similar to the one from the Region 14 Abilene cohort. Valenzuela provided a financial analysis that indicated the MOU in Ysleta would be a similar financial option as the Abilene program.  EC approved the new MOU to start in Summer 2014.

2.         Valenzuela provided a leave without pay report.

3.         Valenzuela reported that the motorcycle safety course director has stated his plans to move the course over to AISD.  SRSU has no issue with the transfer but Mr. Latta does not have the authority to move it over as the contract is between SRSU and TDPS. Valenzuela has had accounting prepare an analysis of the expenditures and revenue from the account.  Other information is needed before moving forward.  Valenzuela will discuss the situation with legal for further action moving forward.

4.         We have issued an RFP for cable and WIFI service in the dorms.  There were six responses but two did not respond to the request on their proposal. WIFI continues to be very expensive to install in the dorms. Gibson said that if we did the install ourselves, it would be a matter of maintenance and lack of staff available to maintain them. EC discussed other options and Gibson plans to have some additional information in the near future.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1.         RGC received an IME-Becas scholarship and will have publicity and photos later this afternoon.

2.         RGC continues to advertise for some vacant positions.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.         Last week Gibson travelled to Tarleton and Texas State.  The big take away is that he believes that they want to help SRSU whenever they can. Van Wyatt from TX State specifically offered their assistance. They will discuss further collaboration and how they might assist SRSU in the future.

2.         Webmaster has submitted his resignation, Gibson will provide a job description at the next meeting for approval to advertise.

3.         Gibson reported that the quote from 5R Processors is reasonable to remove outdated equipment from Mountainside. EC approved the quote to move forward as soon as possible.

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.         Mentoring luncheon will be held on February 10th at 11:30 am. Thurman reported that he has received some grant information concerning mentoring and retention. We will look into this further. Thurman also mentioned that this grant may be a great opportunity with SWTJC and RGC.

 

V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1.      Request for IT Department Assistant – request to move Virginia Carrillo over part time. McGhee and Wasserman will work out scheduling details. EC approved.

2.      Request to replace Environmental Technician formerly Patricia Manning. EC approved.

3.      Request to replace ANRS Ranch Manager. EC approved.

4.      Request for additional GA for Track and Field.  EC approved.

B.     Voluntary Separation Program - The last time this was done it was due to budget concerns, enrollment decline, ability to trade out higher salary individuals with starting salaries, and the state economy that was dismal. The purpose of the VSP was to realize budget savings but that cannot happen if the VSP occurs every year.  EC determined that this was not the best time to have another VSP.

C.     Housing for part time students. Chaszar sent over some information about the possibility of allowing part time students to stay in on-campus housing and removing full time status as a requirement for being in the dorms. EC agreed that the potential for additional revenue is there but as a priority we would want to have full time students to get the rooms. EC is inclined to allow part timers to stay on campus but they need to more information.

D.    Travel Policy – Valenzuela reported that he has made some revisions to the travel policy that states SRSU is not responsible for any fines associated with traffic violations committed by employees or other individuals while on official travel. The policy revisions clearly state that any fines incurred by employees in a university vehicle will be billed to the employee responsible for the vehicle.

E.     MoBB Statue and Signage – EC approved the proposal to move the sign closer to the university.  EC reserves the right to relocate the sign after a year if it deems it necessary to do so. Clouse and Valenzuela will work with Jackson for location.  EC approved the re-location of the Bronc Rider statue from the front of Lawrence Hall to the current location of the Museum. Clouse will work with Jackson for the location of the statue. Thurman requested that they should have a location determined by the next EC meeting for approval.

 

VI.             Next meeting date

A.    February 4, 2014

B.     Adjourn at 11:45 am