EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance:  Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, Paul Sorrels, Jim Case, David Gibson, Denise Groves, Yvonne Realivasquez - recording

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Mary Thomas Marshall Lecture is scheduled for April 22, 2013 at 7:30 pm.  Guest speaker will be Dr. Kim Rossmo, accomplished scholar and expert in the field of Criminology, particularly environmental criminology.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    1-28-2014 EC approved.

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Signature Authority Policy – tabled pending information from Finance Department.

B.     Transportation Alternatives for Athletics –  Valenzuela reported that they have found a used bus that offers most of the options that we have been searching for, only has 10,000 miles, and is only a couple of years old. Clouse and Hernandez will go to take a look at it and make a recommendation. If we use a sole source than we do not have to submit an RFP.

C.     Natural Gas consumption costs will continue to be reviewed. Thurman and Valenzuela met with Eric Zimmer from the City of Alpine and the discussion was optimistic that Sul Ross may receive some additional savings. 

D.    Visionality Quote – Update: Gibson said that he spoke with representatives and is not ready to move forward until more details are available. Valenzuela reiterated that we should re-evaluate the one year service contract after each year to determine if the maintenance is sufficient. Gibson will continue to review the needs and provide a recommendation after more information is available.

E.     E-Classifieds – Update: it is working but there are some features that are not part of the program that we do want to include. It is not ready to go live at this time.

F.      MoBB – (Bronc Buster Statue) request for approval of location. The statue will be located in front of the steps of the McCoy Building/MoBB.

G.    Request to rename the department of “Biological and Earth Physical Sciences” to Department of “Biology, Geology, and Physical Sciences.” Previous motion to the Board to consolidate the departments was approved in November 2013 but the name of the department was not reflective of the true nature of the functions of the department.  EC Approved.

H.    Strategic Plan – request for comments. It will be recirculated once more for additional information before going to the campus community.

 

IV.             Reports

A.    Interim President’s Report

1.         Evaluations for direct reports should be done in a timely manner.

B.     Interim Provost’s Report

1.         Degree Plan Core Classes (CS) – Case worked with Downing and Azuaje to determine a clear degree plan. There were some issues that surfaced from this. There are some departments that do not submit degree plans to the deans in a timely manner and this will be corrected. Degree plans have been given to students in good faith but follow up is needed for consistency.

2.         Case submitted the Core Curriculum response to the THECB.  We have not yet heard back.

3.         Case submitted a report to Perry Moore indicating which low producing programs that we want to reinstate and justification for those.

C.     CFO’s Report

1.         Valenzuela received notice from the IRS of a penalty of $9000 from 2011 for having incorrect or missing SSN on 1098T information. This information was not required by students.  Lisa George contacted the students for missing information and submitted this information to the IRS as a good faith effort to collect the missing information.  We received notification from the IRS that the penalty fee was waived for 2011 but going forward we need to collect the information for IRS.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1.         Sorrels reported that progress continues to be made with SWTJC. They are co-branding with SWTJC and aligning degree plans. They are revising the financial aid consortium and transfer agreements.  They are co-marketing and working on a landing page that could be used by both RGC and SWTJC.

2.         The new campus in Castroville, TX for SWTJC will mean that we may have an additional presence.  Valenzuela suggested that we should begin working with Nevarez to determine what course we need to take.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.         Nothing to report

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.         Groves reported that we are a little above enrollment for Spring 2014 versus Spring 2013. Fall 2014 apps are increasing. EC discussed the data.

 

V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1.      Grounds Maintenance Positions (2) formerly George Hernandez and Chris Anderson - Request to post.  EC approved via email 1-30-2014.

2.      Webmaster formerly Adam Heidrick – request to post. EC approved to post at $40,174.

3.      Gibson proposed some changes in OIT with four options. EC approved for Clara Castaneda to be given a raise to bring her to baseline salary and Paula will be promoted per Gibson’s request and will receive a corresponding raise to $45,000.

4.      Recommendations to hire from Fine Arts and Communication. 

a.       Technical Director and Assistant Professor position was approved to be posted but the salary was not listed.  EC approved a salary of $50,000 at 10.5 months appointment with summer duties included. In a later email request from Greg Schwab, EC revised this decision and agreed to $45,000 for 9 months with one class release time.

b.      Lecturer and Ceramist position was approved for $30,000 but Fine Arts would like to request an increase to $32,000. EC approved $30,000 but that any advising duties would be seen as an overload at $2130. Position will start Summer II 2014.    

5.  Assistant Football Coach Positions – request to advertise. EC approved request to advertise and requested salary.  Re-appointments will be done in Fall 2014.

B.     New Master’s Degree of Science in Health and Human Performance. Curriculum Council reviewed this. EC approved to move forward. Realivasquez will submit this to the Board of Regents.

C.     Student Health form – per John Hughes.  EC questioned the need to gather this information relating to alcohol and drug use. EC was also concerned with the terminology of “street drugs” and asked for a more official term to be used on the form.

VI.             Next meeting date

A.    February 18, 2014

B.     Adjourn at 11:00 am