EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance:  Quint Thurman, Jim Case, Cesar Valenzuela, Dave Gibson, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez - recording.

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Homecoming 2014 will be held on November 15th against Howard Payne.

B.     Quarterly Board of Regents meeting will be held in San Marcos this week. 

C.     Ken Batchelor is hosting an alumni luncheon in San Antonio to meet the new head football coach.

D.    Thurman is looking into the creation of an SRSU marching band.  Additional information is needed but the Music Department is very interested.

E.     Since the trip to China last year, our first student has now registered and paid the deposits to attend Sul Ross in the Fall.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    2-4-2014 EC approved.

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Signature Authority Policy – tabled pending information from Finance Department.

B.     Transportation Alternatives for Athletics – Update: 2011 Bus has been purchased, it is a 40 passenger bus and includes an ADA lift. Thurman has been working with the City of Alpine to skin the bus for tourism for the area. Thurman recognized Cesar Valenzuela, Jim Clouse, and Noe Hernandez for their hard work in getting the bus purchased at a reasonable cost.

C.     Natural Gas consumption costs – Update: The University subsidy is appreciated by the city townsfolk and they are not inclined to provide any discounts. Thurman stated that our next tentative step will be a feasibility study for a pipeline straight to SRSU.

D.    Visionality Quote – Update:  Gibson received one quote for $41,000 from a company in Odessa. He is expecting another one. Quotes are coming from other companies and are looking positive for prices. He was expecting the price to be lower but he will find out more information about this. Cisco shipped a part to fix the broken equipment in Uvalde.  They are waiting for it and that classroom will be back online in short order. Valenzuela asked if we could look into the SWTJC and how they function with their contracted services. Gibson agreed to look into the matter.

E.     E-Classifieds – Update: Waiting for the new webmaster to be on board before a new rollout.

F.      Strategic Plan – request for comments. The plan was circulated to members of the EC for comment.  It will be posted online on the IR/E website and is open for public comment.

G.    APM – Update Org Charts - Realivasquez asked all EC members to update their org charts for publication.  

 

IV.             Reports

A.    Interim President’s Report

1.         The Bronc Buster Statue has been moved to the front steps of the Museum of the Big Bend.

2.         Cowboy Poetry was successful and the Trappings events were well received. 

3.         Executive Retreat is scheduled for March at Cibolo Creek. 

4.         We need to start thinking about how we are going to work with SWTJC at Castroville, TX. Thurman asked Sorrels to find out what the expectations will be from SWTJC. Thurman also suggested a meeting with the SWTJC president to discuss options.

B.     Interim Provost’s Report

1.         Case announced that the THECB accepted our core curriculum proposal.

2.         SACS report has been edited by John Jones and he requested a meeting to go over the information. Amy Moreland will also be invited.

3.         Higher Education Regional Council (HERC) – will begin to look into this for more information. 

4.         SALE Lecture was well received.

5.         Dixon Water Agreement was signed that establishes the second endowed chair in the College of Agricultural and Natural Resources Sciences.

6.         Software for development expired and we will begin to find a funding source to renew the software.  EC agreed to find funding for the payment.

7.         Case requested clarification for the process to hire the coach/lecturer positions.

C.     CFO’s Report

1.         Leave without Pay Report was distributed.

2.         Evaluations are due this month.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1.         Sorrels reported that they have hired several important staff positions.

2.         He attended several Chamber of Commerce events. Chancellor spoke at one in Eagle Pass in February.

3.         Sorrels attended a THECB day conference in Austin, TX and gave a summary of the information.

4.         He will attend a HERC meeting.

5.         All but two employee evaluations have been done.  RGC has almost completed all employee evaluations.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.         Gibson reported that he plans to make some changes to the OIT staff at RGC.  Gibson and Sorrels talked about co-management of the OIT staff at RGC. Sorrels will assist with the management of the staff for day to day operations but the technical operations will remain with the CIO.  After assessing the needs at RGC, Gibson will make some proposals about restructuring. Sorrels said that it would be similar to the reporting lines like business services and financial aid.

2.         Gibson has been asked about more campus training. He will begin looking at how to offer workshops.

3.         Gibson reported that he spent time at Centennial because of a rogue router.  He will begin looking at options to get WIFI at the Centennial building.

4.         Coach Pearce and Coach Mesker have requested some additional tech support and technology in difference athletics areas. Gibson will assess the needs and begin looking at options for additional technology in the Gallego Center and other areas. We may be able to look at how alumni support can assist with these upgrades.

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.         Groves requested a meeting with the Chamber of Commerce to discuss SRSU merchandise and local vendors.

2.         Mentoring team meeting is scheduled and will include a group of about 12 people. Thurman suggested that we could use the Freshman seminar to establish mentoring with our students.

3.         Groves asked Case about the Core Curriculum. Case will circulate a document of the classes that have been approved by the BOR.  In addition to the Core, you will also have degree requirements and he will draw up a template that shows the degree plan for each degree and circulate this to the departments so that they can fill in the majors, minors, and electives. Groves will send him a template from her division for him to use and revise as necessary. Case will set up steps to complete once we find out what the decision from the BOR on Friday.

4.         Fall Enrollment shows that we have an increase of 20% of freshmen apps from last year. Transfer admissions are also on the rise. Overall trends suggest a positive increase for Fall 2014. SORD – Sully Orientation Registrations Days have been scheduled to assist with new and returning students.

 

V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1.      Dr. Hoy Tai Wong – retirement Spring 2014 – EC accepted the retirement. A letter will be sent from the President’s Office.

2.      Request to post for Network Systems Administrator for OIT. EC approved

3.      Request to approve promotion of Paula Arredondo to Senior Network Systems Administrator and corresponding salary increase.

B.     LAR Discussion – The Texas State legislature meets once every two years and they are required to pass a budget before the session is retired. They will use enrollment data over the fall and this spring for appropriations. This past biennium they put 7% more in the formula than in the past. We may need to look at more special items. We expect that the instructions will be different from last time. We will begin our process to put our LAR together. We will also need to look at the costs for the Castroville, TX campus. Valenzuela explained that there are two types of funding including formula and non-formula (special items).  We will need to start building this information now for special item funding.  No EC action needed.

C.     Electronic Cigarettes per Groves – Chaszar asked for clarification about students/employees using E-cigarettes. EC agreed that E-cigarettes are not be used on campus and will be added to the tobacco-free policy.

D.    Student Housing Contract – per Groves and Valenzuela – Chaszar met with them about the contracts and how to get students to be more committed to the spring. They would like to have students pay 60% in the Fall and 40% in the Spring which would allow a bigger commitment from students. Groves will ask Chaszar to make the changes and will resubmit the revised contract to EC for approval. Tabled pending additional information.

E.     OIT Policies – submitted for consideration:

1. Data Destruction Policy Proposal provides regulations on how data is destroyed on campus. EC approved.

2. Non Consensual Access Policy APM 7.11 Removed some parenthetical statements and made some changes to the form associated with the policy. EC approved.

3. Server Management APM 7.08 Changes to the format, EC approved

4. Network Management APM 7.05 Changes to the format, EC approved

F.   Request to purchase Blue Jeans Network through Adelante Tejas as part of their

pilot functions. EC approved pending funding confirmation.

 

VI.             Next meeting date

A.    March 18, 2014

B.     Adjourn at 11:26 am