EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance:  Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, David Gibson, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    SRSU Employee Evaluations need to be completed

B.     The Executive Leadership Retreat will be held this week

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    2-25-2014 – EC approved.

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Signature Authority Policy – tabled pending information from Finance Department.

B.     LAR Discussion – Valenzuela reported that several divisions are working on the LAR.   Sorrels sent his information about Castroville and will submit information about the Eagle Pass lease increase. Valenzuela plans that in the middle of April he would like to have a clear sense of our requests for new funds as the Administrator’s statement has to clearly support that.  This document is often the most read part of the LAR.

 

IV.             Reports

A.    Interim President’s Report

1.         Attended the George W. Bush event to open his memorial library in Dallas. Also met with the Normandy Group in Washington D.C. and met with many from the Texas Delegation. TSUS presidents and the Chancellor met with these individuals to explain how the TSUS institutions support higher education in Texas.

2.         Met with Chris Dobbins regarding the reinstatement of the SRSU Lobo Marching Band.  We have been purchasing new instruments over the years, scholarships are a bigger challenge but Thurman reported that the need for a marching band is tantamount to increasing student participation across campus.

3.         We are working on securing a Motown review from an alumnus and his band during Homecoming.

B.     Interim Provost’s Report

1.         Not in attendance

C.     CFO’s Report

1.         Valenzuela gave an update on budgeted revenue. Our actual revenues for Alpine revenue for Fall and Spring combined are short of our budgeted revenue by almost $400,000.  Although we met our headcount enrollment in Fall 2013, we were short in Spring 2014 but the makeup of the enrollment was such that due to waivers and discounts, the revenue did not materialize.  Valenzuela reminded the EC that for Fall and Spring of this year, we projected a 7% increase in enrollment.  For Fall 2014, we will return to budgeting flat enrollment.  This coupled with the scheduled increase in Designated Tuition should generate extra revenue. RGC is doing much better as those revenues were slightly above the budgeted.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1.         Sorrels reported that the Financial Aid Consortium Revision is almost ready to be signed.

2.         RGC has hired several vacant positions including in the financial aid office and a secretarial position.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.         Gibson reported that in 2011 we were suddenly paying higher prices for Time Warner Cable at RGC.  He is looking into reasons why the increase occurred. Our contract has expired and it is now time to review the services for renewal or to look elsewhere.

2.         RGC faculty members have requested to keep their old computers after a replacement. Gibson reported that he is not supportive of having employees keeping old equipment for their personal or professional use.  Sorrels questioned whether the hard drive would have to be removed based on state requirements.  Gibson explained that when machines are destroyed the hard drive must be shredded but if we choose to migrate the machine, the hard drive doesn’t have to be shredded however it needs to be wiped. Thurman suggested that we could have employees pay for the machines and sign a waiver that holds the university harmless for support. Valenzuela explained that we are not allowed to give away state property but we can sell the machines to the public at the going rate or an auction. Gibson will look into what options we have for allowing this.  Tabled pending additional information.

3.         Gibson reported that he is waiting for one more quote from Visionality before a decision can be made.

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.         Groves reported that we are at 23% in freshmen applications over 2013. 

2.         Enrollment Management is working on admitting Chinese Students.  Thurman suggested that we talk with other universities that have recruited students from China. We have two advantages over other colleges including cost and safety.

 

V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1.      Dominic Sanchez has been moved to the Lobo Den as the Retention Specialist.  Liz Castillo will advertise for the position.

B.     Global Risk Assessment per Stephanie Nelson – Nelson stated that she conducts a risk assessment in association with developing the audit plan.  She has risk assessment workshops that have been successful. The purpose is to help the organization to determine what types of risks are obstacles in the way of the University’s objectives. She reviewed the strategic plan to determine what the overall objectives of the university and what risks would come from these objectives. The challenges listed in the strategic plan are the same as risks.  She would like EC members to document what the highest risks are for each of their sections.  She wants EC to think about how those risks can be controlled or mitigated. Nelson recommended that you should focus on the high risks and then determine what type of controls will assist in preventing them. EC should identify risks and determine if a control is needed. Nelson provided a worksheet and handout to explain what her process is for risk assessment. By ranking the risks you determine if you need a control in place. Nelson stated that she will have risk assessment workshops in April and offered the EC members to have scheduled individual meetings with their division directors.

C.     Eagle Pass Expansion – per Sorrels. SWTJC bought 18 acres to build a new campus but they are willing to add some classrooms and offices for RGC to use in Eagle Pass. It will cost approximately $112k to use the space. Sorrels has some suggestions to utilize the space. He believes that there is additional potential to use the space for students. If enrollment picked up then he would suggest that we would hire more faculty members if needed.  He would rather engage adjunct faculty to handle the needs at this point, if the needs are there.  Sorrels recommended that we approve this action and we to let SWTJC know that we are interested.  Thurman agreed that we should let them know that we are interested in using the space but will need to evaluate how we can best utilize the space.  NO EC Action needed.

 

VI.             Next meeting date

A.    March 25, 2014

B.     Adjourn at 11:05 AM