EXECUTIVE CABINET MINUTES

Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

9:00 AM

 

In Attendance:  Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, Jim Case, Dave Gibson, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.

 

I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Sully Showcase is on April 5, 2014

B.     Luncheon with area Superintendents will be today with SR administrators to discuss dual credit classes and Vo-Tech programs.

C.     We have been informed that a foundation is interested in providing monies for scholarships and will follow up with additional information.

 

II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    3-18-2014 – Tabled pending review

B.     3-25-2014 – Tabled pending review

 

III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    Signature Authority Policy – tabled pending information from Finance Department. Realivasquez will forward the latest draft and any related information to Valenzuela for finalization of this policy.

B.     LAR Discussion – met with architects via teleconference to discuss Campus Master Planning Phase I.  We will request TRB funds for Phase II of this project as well as funds to renovate BAB.  An on campus meeting will be scheduled with the architects to review the areas under consideration in order to fully establish the concept to be followed as the project progresses. PPOHA Grant – approved to move forward with RMA consulting. RMA has a 100% track record for obtaining grants. EC approved.

 

IV.             Reports

A.    Interim President’s Report

1.         Thurman met with AD to discuss several issues about transportation for athletes, track program, will look into the Assistant AD next fall, will start planning for the soccer head coach and may look into golf as a club sport.

2.         Our Homecoming date is November 15th, students chose the theme, “Lobos at the Beach.”

3.         Statue of LSR will not be ready for May, we will make plans for another date.

4.         Thurman will be at RGC on April 17th and will be available to meet with faculty.

B.     Interim Provost’s Report

1.         Case will be traveling to Atlanta for the Langston University initiative for health related programs.

2.         Case and Realivasquez met with the HERC group in El Paso, the report has been filed.

3.         Submitted the tenure and promotion and merit recommendations to Dr. Thurman for review and approval.

4.         Case requested that Valenzuela send him samples of the information he will need for the LAR.

C.     CFO’s Report

1.         Just received the 2nd quarter report for endowment investments, we earned just over5% for the quarter and show an overall YTD increase of 14% for the year.

2.         Aramark committed $40,000 to pay for the marquee sign in front of Gallego. We will be able to advertise for the community, show video, and it will be full color. An RFP is being developed for the acquisition.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1.         Sorrels reported that the US Marshall’s office has asked for interns in Del Rio.

2.         He will visit the Castroville superintendent tomorrow to discuss the proposal for the new campus.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.         Focus is on the fall semester to train students.  They plan to start a couple weeks ahead and in the summer in order to start the fall in a more efficient manner.

2.         They are looking at the spaces in ACR for more effective use of facilities with technology. 

3.         Gibson asked what needs to be done about MITS – Media Instructional Technology Services. He is looking into uses for the students working in that department.

4.         Still taking quotes for the Cisco equipment at RGC. Gibson visited with SWTJC about their management of the equipment but they do not have full coverage. Thurman suggested that he could visit with Dr. Gonzales about several items to line up courses and work toward a stronger relationship with them for brainstorming.

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.         Groves reported that Fall Application Count is still showing an increase over last year’s numbers. Groves suggested that we could offer dual credit classes in the summer for high school students. EC agreed that it would be good idea and will visit with area superintendents about this idea. 

2.         Groves asked Case about responses to the Service Learning Program. Case reported that he has not received feedback about the idea at this time.  

3.         Groves reported that Rhonda Austin has scheduled a meeting with Ramona Munsell about what can be done in the graduate program. She asked Case to contact the deans.

4.         Met with Valenzuela about scaling back the print shop. The goal will be to reduce expenses and increase revenue. The proposal will be to require the University to go through the print shop and work with them to coordinate all publications. Valenzuela requested that information be gathered about why departments chose to outsource rather than use the print shop so that this information can be used in decision making. Sorrels reported that they do not use our print shop for many jobs.

 

V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1.      Music Lecturer – Heather Dobbins – Request to hire Dobbins for work with the marching band as a full time lecturer in Fine Arts effective with the Fall semester.  EC approved. 

2.      Early Retirement – Dave Rohr – EC approved, President will send acceptance letter.

B.     UDPS Cruiser – UDPS requests an ATV vehicle for more effective patrolling of the campus.  This type vehicle is very popular on many university campuses including some on TSUS sister schools.  The vehicle will be fully equipped as a police vehicle.  EC approved purchasing one vehicle from HEAF funds.

C.     APM Policies – Externally Sponsored Programs EC requested the red-line version of the policies and tabled this.  EC also determined that any policy revisions should include a red-line

1.      Pre Award Procedures – This policy covers the pre-award phase of externally sponsored programs - preparation, review and approval of proposals, procedures for University review, negotiation and acceptance of awards and contracts. Tabled pending additional information.

2.      Post Award Procedures - To ensure that the University properly manages funds, departmental workloads, complies with legal and fiduciary responsibilities, and maintains the highest standards of academic performance, research, scholarship and administration. Tabled pending additional information.

D.    Summer Writing Institute Proposal – EC tabled pending additional information.

E.     Renovation of LH for Grant – New grant would like to concentrate student services in Lawrence Hall. Schwab requested an estimate of the renovation cost from facilities so they can be written into the grant. Valenzuela wanted to make sure that all EC was aware of the request as many moves and changes are included.  Facilities will provide a very conservative estimate as these type projects often uncover hidden costs and we need to make sure that sufficient funds are available. Tabled pending additional information.

 

VI.             Next meeting date

A.    April 8, 2014

B.     Adjourn at 10:51 am