Alpine, Texas  

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

9:00 AM


In Attendance:  Quint Thurman, Cesar Valenzuela, David Gibson, Jim Case, Denise Groves, Paul Sorrels via ITV, Yvonne Realivasquez – recording.


I.                   Announcements and Development

A.    Anna Sandoval was named as Student Regent for the Texas State University System for the upcoming year.

B.     We will announce a new campus award entitled Lobo Leadership Award that comes with a $750 stipend on May 1, 2014 at the campus awards ceremony. The award is open to all full-time university employees.

C.     Graduation will be held on May 10th at 10:00 am in Alpine and 7:30 pm in Uvalde.

D.    We have a 100% completion rate in performance evaluations.


II.                Approval of Minutes

A.    4-22-2014 EC approved


III.             Old/Unfinished Business

A.    LAR Discussion – No Action needed.

B.     APM Policies – Externally Sponsored Programs - EC requested the red-line version of the policies and tabled this. 

C.     Service Learning Scholarship –Draft was circulated to EC for comments.

IV.             Reports

A.    Interim President’s Report

1.         Thurman met with representatives from Ghana, they are interested in finding out more information about the City of Alpine functions. Thurman referred them to city of Alpine representatives.

2.         At the CPUPC meeting last week, there is an initiative from THECB to allow Community Colleges to offer Bachelor’s Degree.  

B.     Interim Provost’s Report

1.         Don Dowdey provided hours for summer sessions. Dowdey also informed Case that the Library will be closed on Sundays in the Summer.

C.     CFO’s Report

1.         The SRSU Investment committee (Thurman, Valenzuela, Green, Rogers) met with the investment advisor Asset Strategy Consultants last Tuesday to review portfolio and performance.  For the previous 12 months, we have earned 18% on the endowment, and this quarter was 2.3% earnings.  We expect to be close to double digits in returns for the year. The committee decided to move approx. $1.5 million from endowment overnight account funds to investment securities. We are in the top 16 percent of investment returns for universities of our size.    

2.         The new patrol cruiser was delivered; we will use it to patrol campus at night.  It is a fully equipped police car.  We will also use this as a courtesy car at night for safety of students.

D.    Associate Provost’s Report

1.         Sorrels met with PR groups in Castroville.  The contractor estimates that it will be done by August 12, 2014.  The official opening will be announced later. Open house on the Castroville campus will be forthcoming, possibly in October.

2.         Sorrels asked Valenzuela about the lease agreement for Castroville.  Valenzuela will work on the agreement for RGC. Perry Moore suggested that we have all the documents in order to present at the board meeting in a special session in June or July, rather than May.

E.     CIO’s Report

1.         Friedline and Sanders are at RGC installing the disaster recovery machines.  They are also putting some additional equipment up to handle additional needs.

2.         The date has been set with Lisa George and Chuy Spencer for the third party vendor to come get the computers and surplus out of mountainside.  They will bring two trucks and then come back with a third truck to get out as much as possible. 

3.         Continuing conversations with a couple of the grants to reestablish the instructional technology aspect of OIT.  The grants are willing to pay for a position for a couple of years to assist with the media benefits.

4.         Gibson asked Valenzuela to review the Apogee contract.

5.         Thurman asked Gibson to look into offering WiFi and recharging stations in the new buses.

F.      VPEM’s Report

1.         Groves reported that projected headcount and SCH are showing increases for Fall 2014. Summer is showing an increase in both.

2.         Groves suggested that we should send representatives to scholarship ceremonies for local areas.

3.         Registration days for SOAR have been established with positive responses from registrants.

4.         Groves will bring a formal proposal for the print shop to the next EC meeting.


V.                New Business

A.    Personnel Items

1.      Request to hire Activity Director/Curriculum Coordinator CSI. This is a grant funded position. EC approved posting the position with salary and the caveat that it would be a temporary position.

2.      Request to promote Sylvia Fields to USAS Accounting due to the departure of Debbie Tout and to post for the vacant position.  Request to reclassify job in USAS to include TouchNet responsibilities.  EC approved as well as posting for accounting assistant position to be vacated by Fields.

3.      Request to increase Museum Director salary via fundraising.  The request is to allow fundraising to supplement the Director’s salary to bring the total salary to $60,000 and that fundraising will need to include 14% more for benefits.  EC approved pending Museum Advisory Board Approval.

4.      Request to post for an Education Diagnostician/Assistant Professor at $45,000 for 9 months. EC approved.

B.     THECB Outcomes Based Funding – The General Academic Institutions Formula Advisory Committee has completed its recommendations to the THECB and that board has approved them.  Included in that recommendation is an allocation of outcomes based funding in addition to normal formula funding.  That process is dependent on seven outcomes metrics.   The THECB has asked all institutions to review its data and assign weights to those metrics felt to be most advantageous to the particular institution and to return those by 10/1/2014.   Valenzuela provided a handout from THECB about this topic presented in a webinar on April 9, 2014 and led an EC discussion on the topic. THECB wants us to assign weights to the Success Metrics by October 1, 2014. A task group including Valenzuela, Groves, Case, Sorrels and Dr. John Jones was established to work on the success metric.


VI.             Next meeting date

A.    May 6, 2014

B.     Adjourn at 11:15 am.